Wednesday, April 18, 2012

MiniGrail discussion idea

It's interesting to see newcomers still coming to the game and realising how long it actually takes to learn all the tips and tweaks and the subtleties of item generation and monster drops. I occasionally play in the single player tourneys and notice a lot of players can sign up for some but progress very little into them.

This got me thinking about the idea of a persistent MiniGrail tourney set just in the first two acts of normal which could be run by particular minigrailer character(s) or be contributed to by other characters including those from other tourneys passing through this zone. With no restrictions on character class or skills, rerunning areas or use of merc. (an Ironwolf could be recruited for varieties sake providing the character contributing to the grail does not leave Kurast port environs)

Low level crafting, gambling and shopping could all to used to some effect with gambling having an outside chance of acquiring set items and uniques that otherwise wouldnt drop in the 2 acts.

I'd suggest player progress could include both grail points and individual character magic find total in a simple chart.

Grail points could be 1 for each set item and unique item found (only one of each item counting of course). Items currently worn might not be counted towards to the Grail score.This score would be doubled for items with a single perfect variant stat, trebled for items with two perfect variant stats etc. Ethereal items would be worth double this yet again. So a 15 nagel with 55 AR would score 1 point and ethereal Duskdeep with 50% ED and +20 defence would score 6. Completed sets should get a bonus too.

Transient characters going through the MiniGrail zone would get a final mf score as they leave Kurast port to be added to the chart with the understanding that the items they take with them are removed permanently from the players MiniGrail.

Twinking new characters in this tourney from the players Grail could be allowed and possibly desirable with the proviso that any items so used come only from the MiniGrail tourney.

Does this idea, like the dead arach on cat 2, still have legs?

Comments and suggestions very welcome. |||I can definitely see some potential in this

I never even considered to give the grail a serious go. It's waaay to big! (and being HC doesn't help it either). I like to MF but I recently lost my only character that was capable of MFing.

This sounds like a nice idea. However, I don't like the twinking part of it - the number of such low lvl set/uniques are quite low and it should be doable (and fun) to do it with an untwinked character. I like the idea of starting a character and then not leaving act 2 before you've found everything there is to find That would probably mean that the items that were worn should be counted though.

Anyways, that's only my opinion.

If this is going somewhere, I'm pretty sure you can count me in!|||I have no idea how long gathering such a grail would take with as you say round 50 set and 50 unique items. Equipping characters with perfect topazes shouldn't really take that long either and getting a character to 30+ is no trouble.

Each character, if more than one was used, would keep their part of the grail separate then?

With regards to runewords and the three socket cap on items at this level, insight and spirit would be out but Edge would be nice to play with at this lower level.|||I actually didn't realize that we were talking about that many items. And I totally forgot about the socket cap. However, the loss of insight won't bug me that much. It makes the sorc less viable which also makes other builds more attractive and will probably create some nice diversity It would be a nice different challenge, since people probably haven't previously planned a character for this kind of tourney.

And yes, I was thinking that each character would have each own stash. I don't really have other arguments for this, than I think it would be cool.|||I think that sounds like a nice tournament idea . I may even be interested in making a character, too. I've only just joined my first tournament today, but I think I like the idea of yours. Of course it would help me get some of the items I've never found or deleted out of stupidity (eth knell striker! *weeps*). I still haven't found torch of iro. . . so do it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment