Thursday, April 19, 2012

I am well worried

Ok so my restart stash got corrupted (this restart was involuntary due to last stash also getting corrupted). Don't understand what I am doing wrong here but this time around it says "Bad file size (0)".

What do?



In contrast to this, I happily found my old chars save folder on another D2 folder hidden under the rubble. Probably connected to the previous stash, but anyway, I can't access them. I have checked the startup path and so on but it fails to recognize the char-files upon viewing character screen in-game.

On top of this my new chars get their char-files saved in "...Roaming>Microsoft>Windows>Recent" :S and not even in a Save folder or anything, just the char-files. I even tried, desperately, just copying everything there including char files but it doesn't recognize them.



Same version (1.13c) and same computer same everything since last time they were used.



TL;DR Pathing problems (most likely) with loading old D2 chars. Any help much appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum or anything, just most familiar with this corner of the forum.|||This is probably going to make you theoretically punch me, but have you tried re-installing everything?|||Quote:








Ok so my restart stash got corrupted (this restart was involuntary due to last stash also getting corrupted). Don't understand what I am doing wrong here but this time around it says "Bad file size (0)".




More information about what you use as a muling program, OS, etc., might be useful. ATMA and GoMule both back stashes up (I think,) but versions of Windows from Vista on basically lie about where those backups go.

Have you been using a version of ATMA without the essences fix, and putting essences in your stashes? That doesn't work well...|||Quote:








More information about what you use as a muling program, OS, etc., might be useful. ATMA and GoMule both back stashes up (I think,) but versions of Windows from Vista on basically lie about where those backups go.

Have you been using a version of ATMA without the essences fix, and putting essences in your stashes? That doesn't work well...




Yeah ATMA it is.. I did notice the essences bug a while ago, so no essences here. Unfortunately, I have Vista.



So no clue regarding the weird character save folder stuff?

@Virgait: Can't quite remember. Maybe will try that.

Thanks for super-fast replies.

Edit:

Tried re-installing, it crashes when trying to start the game. I think it's time for a HD wipe.

Edit2: Disregard this thread. It all went to hell.|||When you installed/re-installed, did you make sure NOT to install the game in the "C: \Program Files\" folder? This is a sure way to give yourself issues like you're seeing...you should install the game in some other folder, I like to make a "c: \games\" folder for older games. Even better is to install the game on a separate drive from the system(OS) drive...thats how I'm set up on my win7 box, and I've never had any issues with it.

WoRG|||Ok thanks for tip WoRG. Thing is I think I did install in separate folder last time around. So my Program Files was "clean", but anyway, somehow I got it to work again. Now if only my previous atma stash could come back to life!|||Quote:








if only my previous atma stash could come back to life!




Was your OS XP or later? If it was Vista or Win7 I'd bet I can tell you how to get your stashes back.

EDIT: remember how I said that Windows lies? ATMA backed up your stashes. ATMA tried to bqck them up to a reasonable place. Windows hid the backups. Your stashes are still there though, and if you need help recovering them you can PM me.|||Quote:








On top of this my new chars get their char-files saved in "...Roaming>Microsoft>Windows>Recent" :S and not even in a Save folder or anything, just the char-files. I even tried, desperately, just copying everything there including char files but it doesn't recognize them.




Are you running the game as an administrator?

I experienced a similar issue when I reinstalled D2 following a harddrive replacement about two months ago. It seems Windows 7 refuses to allow certain programs to modify harddrive data without user permission, so it creates a temporary folder for it instead. Running the game as an administrator should resolve this particular issue.|||Vista and later versions of Windows won't let programs write to the /Program Files directory. Instead Windows pretends to let them, but writes to another directory, which is hard to find. I thought all my stashes were gone once (I had backed up, but it turned out that because Windows lies about this I had backed up the wrong directory.)

Your stashes are likely still there, if you used Atma. Atma saves backups every time. Windows has hid them from you. Anyway, with some help you will be able to recover them, so don't despair. I forget where windows puts them, but someone must know.|||Quote:








I forget where windows puts them, but someone must know.




C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\ATMA V\ATMA_CONFIG

No comments:

Post a Comment