Thursday, April 19, 2012

Cadel Mondaily

Sorry for being a bit sneaky with this one (it's 2:15 am Monday morning as I type this), but I have to celebrate the first ever Australian winner of Le Tour de France. So pumped to see Cadel Evans finally get a win, having gone so close in 07-08, then injury ruining his last two races. He did it in style too, with two courageous rides to win back time on the two big Alpine stages, then blitzing his rivals in the final time trial (something he was expected to do in 07-08).

It's actually amazing to see how professional cycling in Australia has gone from a mere curiosity to a sport with serious following (especially Le Tour) over the last decade. Pretty much the case for me personally as well. My wife stumbled on Le Tour in '06 as a way of distracting herself from not being able to sleep (due to being nigh on 9 months pregnant), and given I was occupying the same bed and viewing the same television, I quickly got into it as well (though I do tend to follow just about every sport I'm aware of). We've watched every Tour since then religiously. Amazing what having one of your fellow countrymen competing seriously at the top end of a sport can do. It's interesting and bit strange that it's taken so long for Australia to become a serious competitor in road cycling, because we've always been so strong at track cycling.

Anyway, on with the daily formalities:

RL: Taking my wife to prison today. Alas, I'll have to pick her up again at the end of her shift.

D2: Quite likely to be doing some more Countess runs with my CL/FO sorc.

OVG: Unlikely.

edit: I should also mention Mark Cavendish as the first British rider to win the green jersey at Le Tour. Such an impressive sprinter. Amazing to watch. Needs just 3 more stages to be the most winning rider ever in Le Tour, and at the rate he wins them, it could very well happen next year.

I'll also also mention Thomas Voeckler, the French rider who clung to the yellow jersey for 10 days against all predictions (including his own). He's now officially my favourite non-Australian rider. Bloody inspiring stuff.|||Vive le Tour!

Wonderful win for Evans. Congratulations! He shure deserves it.

Sorry to hear about your wife. What's up with that?

RL: Hungover

D2: a bit.|||Grats to Cadel. Amazing TT yday. This was probably the best week of the tour I can remember, since Riis' win on Hautacam in 1996.

Big props to Cadel, Andy, Voekler, Cav and Rolland. Their performance = awesome (and why we love TdF).

RL: Just lost the final promotion match (by a huge margin) => next season in the fourth best league (again!)

D2: Trav runs, so I can move on to other projects.|||Quote:








Vive le Tour!

Sorry to hear about your wife. What's up with that?




Sounds to me that she works there?

|||Aaahaha... I got so shocked I didn't finish the sentense!|||RL: Waved some family friends off at the airport, they stayed for the weekend

No smoking for 2 days!

D2: Ye I reckon so, been a few days

OVG: I'm looking at joining a role playing club or something, just need to find one^^|||how sweet is the fact they are considering giving us a public holiday cos some guy won a bike race. sweet as! thats how|||All of a sudden, corax actually cares about cycling! (At least long enough to get a day off)|||My wife's a mental health nurse. And to be more correct, she is working at a mental health centre next to a prison, not in the prison itslef. I should have said I had to drop her off at the nuthouse...|||RL: Not looking forward to work today, for reasons to complex to explain.

D2: Maybe. I should push on harder now Atil is 98 but I don't like to risk it if I'm tired, not in the best mood or tipsy. Rather narrows down my play time really.

OVG: Literati maybe. See if I can face speaking to anyone when I get home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment