Saturday, April 21, 2012

OT: No Smoking Thread

Lol Nightfish!

Ok, so I'm trying to stop smoking tomorrow, just had my last one...

I thought, well there's got to be other's here who are stopping, want to stop or *have* stopped. So I thought... give us tryers a bit of encouragement, and share your success if you can |||I am not a smoker nor do I intend to ever be a smoker; however, I will gladly offer you some words of encouragement and advice with regards to your endeavor to no longer be a smoker.

Encouragement: You can do it!

Advice: Punch yourself in the ********^* every time you find yourself reaching for a cigarette. My limited knowledge of behavioural psychology dictates that this kind of negative reinforcement will result in a strong and consistent urge to not reach for a cigarette.

Good luck!

*I assume you are male and Scottish. If you are in fact female or not Scottish, replace "********" with "ovaries" or "balls," respectively.

PS: Strange, I did not realize that British curses were censored on these forums.|||Good luck Virgi!

I thought I had quit this morning with my last smoke; gave in and bought a new pack.

Ahhh the sensational bliss of a new pack of cigs! American Spirit Perique Blend.

Sorry, I have no stories from quitting long term. The longest I've been is a year.

Just don't do it. Negative reinforcement may work. You can try eating a peppermint stick each time you crave one. Friends Grandpa did that. Now he's addicted to peppermint sticks.|||mum smokes

trick is to get one of your mates to hide all your smokes and replace them with little signs reminding you that your supposed to be quitting

works best if your mates smoke cause then they can just smoke all of your cigs|||guilt guilt GUILT GUUUUUILT!!!!

put this in your smokes holder|||Lol Nightfish!

I've had two this morning, but I've got my patch on and not taking any to work with me :P

Think I'll pop to the doctors because we get treatment for it on the NHS here!|||Mmmm I can tell you a couple tips from my own experience, but... I still smoke so I'm not sure if that will help =P . Anyway I've quit smoking a couple times now, longest was for over a year. Didn't use any medical treatment, but what I found worked the best for me was doing lots of sport. Go everyday to the gym, play some sport (I used to play basketball and still go sometimes with the old mates), and the need to smoke will decrease greatly. If that doesn't work the shame of being tired way too early should, well in most cases because as most my friends smoke we ended looking like a bunch of crap people pretending to do some exercise. In any case keep yourself busy. Worst part for me was that as I said my friends, family and even my girlfriend smoke, not much but still, so in the end I couldn't resist.

Then there's the medical stuff, but helps a lot to be with people that don't smoke. Just make sure if you try to quit to be confident about it, if you are not sure don't try it, you won't succeed and probably will end up smoking even more.

I'm gonna give it a try soon, right now I'm decreaseing the amount I smoke, mainly using roll up tobacco and just when I'm at home, and well doing sport. I think I'm on my way but it is pretty hard. Good luck with that mate!|||I have to go with couscous on this: if you are not sure you really want to quit; you will not succeed.

I smoked for about 10 years. Not very much but the daily 2 cigarettes per evening. And I said to myself that I should really stop, but didn't want to so I just kept finding excuses to keep on. One day I was finished. Had no need for it anymore and then it was very easy.

The worst part is the habit part, the physical urge you should use some help to get over (chewing gum or whatever) but to break the habit is much more difficult. Think about all the occasions when you normally have a smoke. Waiting for a friend? Drinking a beer? You need to figure out what to do instead of smoking in those times.|||I stopped 10 years ago (I'm now 34), and haven't had one since. To be honest, I was never a big smoker - if I smoked a pack a day that was a huge day.

I stopped by seeing how long I could go without a smoke, and it'll be 11 years on 6th September. Once I got past a week, I didn't miss it at all. Weirdly, now, when I get cravings -and I still do - a stupidly spicy curry stops the cravings for at least a couple of months. If I eat a really hot curry or chilli every couple of weeks, I never crave them at all.

A lot of my friends who stopped say that without motivation to do it you won't succeed. If you don't really want to stop, you won't - thios is why I still drink like a fish. For some it's a health scare (one of my smoking friends had a shadow on her lung - that put her off really fast), for me it was a then-girlfriend - now my wife of 6 years - telling me if I didn't quit she was going to leave me.

Take each day one at a time and remember that it can be done.|||Another thing that can motivate is what a friend of mine told me. He had smoked at least a package a day for over 30 years and then he stopped. He was amazed at how quickly his body started to recover. After a couple of weeks he could feel noticable differences in lung capacity, taste sensations (causing him to stop eating super spicy curry dishes... he just couldn't take it anymore), coughing stopped almost entirely and his skin looked much healthier. He thought he was doomed forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment