Thursday, April 12, 2012

Griffon eye socket question

[:1]My blizzard sorc scored a Griffon's Eye from the AT a month or so ago. The roll was not good. -15/+11. I ended up punching a hole in it, but am not sure what to socket it with. I have a 5/4 lightning facet but I wondered if it would be a waste since the roll was poor on the GE and socketing something else might be appropriate? UM? or jewel?

I currently have it in use on my fishyzon. To be honest I don't know if I would noticed that big of a difference in her kill speed with the facet but that's why I am asking you guys.

Thanks|||Griffons is strong no matter what is roll.

Even worst roll Griffons will beat all other helms for some builds (lite sorc, lite zon etc).

For first Grffons I would go with facet. I'm not sure if your facet is +4/-5 or +5/-4 but either of those are not waste to put in your helm. That helm is still pretty darn rare.

If you plan to go with fishyzon I'd check her IAS breakpoints. 15IAS jewel is pretty viable socket, as is your facet. If you want to do extensive MFing, ptopaz is always cheap solution. Plain 15IAS jewels and ptopazes can be changed easily, but once you put facet in, you probably won't remove it.

Again, for first Griffons I'd go with facet. All lite builds benefit from it and it adds solid dmg, especially on non sorc builds.

Second should probably go with IAS jewel. It has a bit more limited use, but sometimes it can tip breakpoints of LF zon or Tesladin, and that's generally more beneficial then added dmg.

Third is with ptopaz for obvious reasons. Again, plain IAS jewels and ptopazes can be unsocketed as you need them.

Cham would go on some very specific builds. Kinda advanced thing, but you will know when you get there Heavy optimization here.

I'd go against any kind of resistance mods. You can cover 15allress with 3 small charms, but charms can't give you additional IAS or dmg (except skiller charms, but I'm talking about small ones here).|||I agree with frozzzen pretty much. Facet, IAS Jewel, Cham and PTopaz are, in my mind, the viable choices for a socket, roughly in that order of likelihood. Facet is the most versatile, IAS Jewel and Cham will make the most difference when they're needed (but are very specific; check your character(s) requirements!), PTopaz is ok I guess if your killing speed is through the roof as it is and your build is a specialized MF character.

My money is on a Facet (and imo a 4/5 is the perfect type of facet for a not-so-great Griffon's ) or possibly an IAS jewel if you need it for a breakpoint.|||If you're using this on the Fishyzon, check your MF and IAS breakpoints. Tell us that and also the targets she runs and /players settings.

My experience with Fishyzon is the following: javelin is very powerful almost no matter what. Bow side is either noticeably weaker, or uses ridiculous amount of mana. It's not the javelin part that needs help, most of the time.

On a Fishyzon, I wouldn't discount sticking a Perfect Sapphire there for extra Mana (to help FA). Nice thing about PSapphire or PTopaz is that they're dirt cheap and if you don't like it, you can just just 'Hel' them out.|||Quote:








If you're using this on the Fishyzon, check your MF and IAS breakpoints. Tell us that and also the targets she runs and /players settings.





I just matted her a couple of days ago and so haven't started running except for a few cow runs. I have very little MF on her (~10%) and will have to look through my stashes a bit to better optimize her for running (obviously). I haven't run into much mana problems with 2x Bahamut's rings, and Insight. I will also take a re-peak at NF's guide to get some MF equipment ideas, I probably am missing most of the equipment since I restarted a few months ago. I think until I score a shako it might be best to throw pTopaz in there. I agree with the javlin skills vastly out-shinning the bow skills, and maybe a different helm altogether (ie shako) would be better.

thanks for the replies.|||I socketed my Griffon's Eye with a facet without a second thought, and I'm glad I did. Griffon's was easily one of my first really great MFing finds (within first 100 or so Pindle runs I think), but I've never found another once since. So, I wouldn't wait around for a better roll before making use of it.

I will say, though, that once my Fishyzon went from questing to MFing, I switched from the faceted Griffon's to a ptopaz'd shako. Not just for the MF (to me, anything above ~200% is gravy and not as important as kill speed), but also the bonuses to life and mana. As said above, LF and CS will kill so fast anyway (in WSK runs, it's hard to notice the difference in damage until you get to Baal), while it's FA against LIs (especially gloams, which rudely refuse to clump together) that slows you down. Might as well take the big bonuses to life, mana, MF, and one more +skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment