Thursday, April 12, 2012

Entertainment During Your Runs

[:1]So I've rewatched (every episode) of Modern Family, Weeds, Arrested Development, and 5 movies.... Listened to a bit of comedy on Pandora, and listened to my Buckeyes almost lose on Saturday.

I was curious what everyone else does to help pass the time on their runs, maybe we can get a few new ideas!|||zen meditation.|||I've listened to audio books (specifically the Harry Potter series read by Jim Dale) on a few occasions, like during MFO's. I also often listen to old radio shows with Ricky Gervais & Stephen Merchant, the writers of The Office, which I think are extremely entertaining.

Other than that, I guess I listen to music sometimes.|||Mostly just music for me, I like to pay more attention, so I don't watch TV. Sometimes I will browse the forum while playing, but It's pretty tough to multitask like that.

Basically....Pandora ftw.|||Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Deadwood, Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Top Chef.|||Yeah.. When I watch TV shows I mainly listen. I occasionally glance over to watch, and/or watch during load/run times when I don't have to pay attention.

Good call on the Always Sunny/Curb. I forgot about my old seasons of those!|||My recent foray back into D2 has resulted in me playing the Skrillex radio station on slacker(dot)com. I'd use pandora instead and do a mix of Bit Shifter / Junkie XL / Skrillex / Diplo / Calvin Harris / Modeselektor / Boy 8-Bit / Simian Mobile Disco / Deadmau5 / Justice, but I listen to pandora at work and it's got a monthly limit before you have to pay for the service.

If I owned more movies, I'd put on a series. Trilogies are good; Star Wars, LotR, TMNT, Karate Kids... if you know a movie well enough, simply listening to it is good enough and your eyes don't wander. I also tend to record reruns on my DVR, so it's not uncommon for me to have an hour-long show that I've seen before going in the background. They're good timers, too, since they're a perfect preset length.|||Running is valuable "switch-off" time for me, so I kick my brain into neutral, chuck on some music I like on Spotify (currently it's Opeth's and Dimmu Borgir's back catalogues) and wait for the good stuff to drop.

Once my wife goes to bed on a friday night, this process is repeated with |||The last 2 months have been great, I've had the England v India cricket commentary on the radio whenever I could. When that's not been on, I've had music or podcasts of radio shows that I've missed. Just started using my last.fm recommended radio, I figure it's a good opportunity to discover some new music.|||Quote:








Running is valuable "switch-off" time for me, so I kick my brain into neutral, chuck on some music I like on Spotify (currently it's Opeth's and Dimmu Borgir's back catalogues) and wait for the good stuff to drop.




What do you think of the new Opeth?

Anyway, I listen to music, usually entire albums at a time. I try to keep it either mellow/beat-heavy (e.g. something like Muslimgauze or Pan Sonic) or loud (mehtulzzz) for the pump-up factor. I don't usually bust out my folk/alt/indie tunes, just doesn't fit the mood.

I've also occasionally watched MMA when I have low expectations for a bout, as I can pause whenever something remotely interesting happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment