Saturday, April 14, 2012

Slow loading on Windows 7 .. ideas?

[:1]I've just got my new machine in and everything seems to be running fine except Diablo. The game launches but takes forever (a minute or more) to actually start. Once it starts, it seems to run normally.

Any ideas about the slow start-up? Could it be an issue with the windows manager (I generally play full screen, not in window mode)? I know other applications that have issues with the Aero manager .. anyone know how to turn off Aero?

Thanks|||I have a fairly average laptop that handles D2 pretty well (I do run in windowed/no sound mode 99% of the time). Once in a while though, it does take forever to start up but that's the exception rather than the rule - if yours is happening every time then maybe there's something more going on.

If you right click your desktop & select 'Personalize' you could try using a Basic theme, to see if it is Aero making life difficult - can't say I've had troubles but it might help you out.|||It's easy thing. Right click --> screen resolution ---> advanced ---> advanced settings ---> list all mods ---> reduce true color to high color (16 bit).

Helps with this issue. You can return it later when it starts.|||Run D2VidTst.exe and select direct3d.|||Thanks everyone .. from my minimal testing it seems I needed to adjust both the colour depth and the Direct3D. The depth change sped up the start but I was then experiencing a strange colour issue that seemed to turn everything to a grainy 8-bit display. The D3D seems to have fixed that problem.

Thanks again for the help .. I'll keep testing and post if anything new comes along.|||There is no need to adjust your color depth.

Right click on the game executable, go to properties, then select the compatibility tab, then make sure "disable desktop composition" is checked. It changes the way the operating system and the game cooperate to draw onto the screen.

Using Direct3D also solves this issue, but personally, I think it looks much worse than directdraw. This allows directdraw-diablo to be run immediately, and may fix the color issue you were having as well.|||Quote:








I've just got my new machine in and everything seems to be running fine except Diablo. The game launches but takes forever (a minute or more) to actually start. Once it starts, it seems to run normally.




Silly tragor... Just stop turning the game off and you won't have to wait to turn it back on again! Come on, you know you want to play it 24/7 anyway!



-hps

No comments:

Post a Comment