Thursday, April 12, 2012

Patriarch Ai****eruze the Frenzier

[:1]AS: The nub-filter confuses the romanization of certain Japanese syllables with a colloquial reference to fecal matter, please pardon it.

As the SPF is getting a bit jaded in respect to character builds, as every blizz sorc now has an enigma and infinity, I decided to post a little antidote, one with a name to perhaps invoke Nagisa. The name is cutesy for 'I love you' in Japanese, which is not an entirely accurate description of my relation to the little barbarian, but it did end up being a good deal less ironic than I thought it would: it is actually a very decent char.

After I had been questing a bit, it stalled a bit because I didn't use any hax runewords like grief, beast, botd, last wish, I used upgraded butcher's pupils, which I intended to upgrade again -silly me. The project got into a rut, and it needed a little oomph to get out of it, so I had a quick little gander at some tables, and I noticed the IAS table looked a little like this:


Code:
ias        f/a       a/s
65 % 7 3.5
89 % 6.5 3.8
129 % 6 4.1
200 % 5.5 4.5
377 % 5 5

After asking around a bit for a ring with 177 ias I was rewarded by a chorus of "STFU", so I had to settle for the next best breakpoint. A bit of a let-down, but what can one do?

Questing got substantially more fun after this, monster packs were flashing like chavs on cellphone cameras, in combination with the run-speed it made for an interesting experience. Going two-handed means getting hit a lot, and aura'd or cursed archer packs, as well as gloams (which I didn't run in to too much I'm happy to say) proved very interesting, as did herds of vipers. The basic strategy employed was to run into the pack at an oblique angle, get some hits in, outrun any projectiles, repeat until victorious. The hardest were blow-pipe flayers, as they kept running away and it is not at all easy to hit 50 of them with 225 FRW.

Magic Finding

After the frenzy-barb pit running rage popped up again I wonder whether a frenzier wouldn't be equal to the task as well, so I loaded up 100 mf and headed off to the pits. It was a little icky at times, as you've only got 6 seconds before your frenzy runs out, but all in all it worked rather well, howling the scrub monsters away and smiting the boss, horking, and meep-meep onwards. Time-wise it is absolutely horrible, but at least it doesn't hurt a barbarian's pride to flop around like a sorcering girl. Tried to run A5SU with him, but it requires too much attention to keep the frenzy alive to be really useful.

Conclusion

If you're looking for a nice build to play through the game, this is a very decent build



Gear

Arreat's Face /ias jewel

2x Stormlash /shael

Treachery

Raven / dual leech

Highlord's Wrath

IK Boots, Gloves and Belt

AR/dmg-life charms and some MF

Mercenary: A2 offensive wearing: GA/Kira's/Reapers



Bonus

A max concentration zealot for MP games or something, not really useful but hey, when has D2 ever been useful?

A zealot named Jun Jy-Hyun after one of my favourite film stars, wearing a +2/visionary circlet, +2/stuff amulet, HoZ, Heaven's Light, IK belt+gloves, perf nat's boots, raven/dual leech, 8 off skillers. Level 38 concentration which gives 615 ED and extends up to 60 meters (D2 should have done metric). It's a zealot, so nothing problematic about not having a perfect setup with fana. I'm sure it reaches some decent breakpoints, but whatever, it works and it takes 8 off skillers out of my stashes.

So everybody gtfo of travincal and LK and start playing plox ^^|||Even with the overpowered runewords around, there's certainly plenty of fun to be had with sets/uniques. This one brings back fond memories of my dual-Azurewrath Frenzier.

You didn't mention skills, but judging by the screenshot I assume you went all-out for damage (20 in Mastery, Frenzy, DS, and Taunt) instead of diverting points to BO or Shout. You have to appreciate the swagger of a Barbarian with no boost to defense or hitpoints, minimal crowd control, and an interruptible attack. |||awesome! Frenzier is one of my favorite builds, so this get big kudos for me

if you were making a point, you should have gone for the real gusto & made him that high-end runeword that never gets used ... a 'Fury' (actually, I think I have seen a few of these, but mostly in claws for WW/Trap 'sins)

and for the record, you had taunt (presumably) so you had the tools to deal with ranged packs... quicker & much safer than run-in-run-out method. Also something with charges of attract are good for that.|||Masterfully done, you potty-mouthed sailor, you.

Stormlash is a pretty stellar weapon imo. Kudos to you for going against the torrent of rune-powered characters and bringing some pizazz to the party.|||Congratulations on the Pat! Very nice writeup and you reminded me of my project to up every single unique in the game to elite...

The only disturbing part: You have feces in the Japanese "I love you"???|||Congrats on the Pat. Maces are the best.


Quote:








bringing some pizazz to the party.




Now I want pizza.|||Thanks for the heads-up guys, really needed that to get a little perspective on things

Rhone: You are indeed correct. Defensive stuff is for pussies (and sorcs).

Grisu: I do indeed, and I would tell you, but I'd just get censored again -^|||Quote:








After asking around a bit for a ring with 177 ias I was rewarded by a chorus of "STFU"




Noob... should've asked me, I'd have gieb'ed you this


Code:
Mythical Ring of the Apprentice's Apprentice
Ring
Required Level: 101
Fingerprint: 0x0123abcd
Item Level: 80
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+176% Increased Attack Speed
+13% Faster Cast Rate

I'm sure you could've gotten 1% IAS out of the charms. I mean, you'd have to level a bit, but still...

Dual Stormlash Pat? Full of win. Huge grats! Great Write-up, pure entertainment.

--Greebo

No comments:

Post a Comment